The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends following these home heating safety tips:
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from heating equipment such as a portable space heater, fireplace, wood-burning stove or furnace.
- Have a 3-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
- Never use your oven to heat your home.
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
- Remember to ALWAYS turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Always use only the type of fuel specified by the manufacturer for fuel-burning space heaters.
- Make sure your fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
- Test smoke alarms monthly.